1. I need people who are willing to pray for me throughout the year! Pray that I will make all the necessary preparations, pray that I will adjust well to culture shock, pray that I can build meaningful relationships in my new community. Basically, prayers for my well-being are greatly appreciated!
2. I am trying to build a network of people who can commit to staying in contact with me throughout the year. Reading my blog is a first step, but I will also be sending out bi-monthly email newsletters as another way to share my stories and experiences. As far as contact from your end, I would love to get emails, snail mail, and care packages throughout my year! I know that spending a year in another country will be rough at times, and you will probably never know how much your notes and emails mean to me, so please communicate with me!
3. I also need to raise financial support for my year of service. Now, I probably hate asking for money just as much as you hate being asked for money, but bear with me. The entire program cost for the year is a little over $10,000. The ELCA funds a large part of that, as part of their investment in future leaders. However, I am responsible for raising $4,000 by August 1st, and I am inviting you to join in this journey with me!
A fun way for you support me is to commit to sponsoring me for one day. It costs about $30 a day for me to be a YAGM volunteer, and you can pick the day you want to sponsor! You can choose your birthday, your favorite holiday, an anniversary, or any other day. I will try to send you a special thank you from Mexico on the day that you sponsor!
If you would like to financially support me, please do the following:
- Make checks payable to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- In the memo line write Kristen Lee - YAGM
- Mail to:Evangelical Lutheran Church in AmericaPO Box 71764Chicago, IL 60694-1764