Thursday, April 19, 2012

and so it begins...

Hello all!

I have returned to the blogosphere, this time as a way to document my upcoming year as a YAGM volunteer in Cuernavaca, Mexico! But what is YAGM, you might ask? YAGM is a really fun acronym to say, and it stands for Young Adults in Global Mission. YAGM is a program run through the ELCA's Global Mission department, and it gives young adults between the ages of 19-29 a year-long service opportunity abroad. (for more information, go to http://www.elca.org/globalserve/youngadults)

I will be leaving in August for a week of orientation in Chicago, before I fly to to Mexico City on August 22 with 8 other volunteers. We will all be living with host cities in Cuernavaca, a city about an hour south of Mexico City, while we work with various organizations around the city.

This last weekend was spent in Wisconsin for our Discernment-Interview-Placement (DIP) weekend! It was the first chance we had to meet the other YAGM volunteers for next year, and it was kind of a whirlwind of a weekend. Possibly the most exhausting, emotional, and exhilarating weekend of my life, but it sure ended on a high!

I am super excited for my placement, although it is also a little intimidating. Hopefully my Spanish will improve a lot, but I'm also looking forward to good food, nice weather, and another chance to get involved in the global community!

If you have any questions, please email me, and keep supporting me through my year of service! I will be consistently blogging starting in August, so I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment